Author Topic: SB2020 Open Source Accounting  (Read 168 times)

John Spikowski

SB2020 Open Source Accounting
« on: December 13, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Welcome 100 developers and consultants to the SB2020 open source project.  Business BASIC programming talent is rapidly becoming harder to find and the BASIC harder to support as essential components become deprecated and less stable as time passes.

I will be creating a new git project repository and markdown based docs as this unfolds.

This is a brief overview of  the direction I would like to take with the project.

• Retain as much of the current business logic 100 provides in a new object model form.
  • Encourage the use of 100's BOI COM/OLE API which is open and well documented but under used. Further development with ProvideX is a bad investment.
  • 100 GUI can easily be extended using VB6 to create intelligent OCX form controls with easy to use property / method functionality.
  • Create a utility that reads the NOMADS screen definition files and generates IUP cross platform native LED UI definition files. (this is already half baked)

I would like to hear from the 100 developer community and their willingness to support this direction or not.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:42:49 PM by John Spikowski »

Root

• Administrator
Re: SB2020 Open Source Accounting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:59:01 PM »
I would like to clarify the direction of the Open Sage forum and the SB2020 Script BASIC open source accounting project, I have been involved with MAS90 since its inception. I introduced ProvideX to SOTA/Best initially as a license agreement before they bought Mike's company and hired him for a short period. I have worked with many of the resellers / master developers as a sub-contract programming resource. Sage even paid me to present a proof of concept of extending 100 with a browser based interface. With Stephen Kelly leaving and an the acquisition of Intacct, going from proof of concept to a project failed to happen. :-[

Now that Sage has declared themselves a cloud company with only one cloud native product with the rest rebranded as generic hosting by subscription. Crippling features for those wishing to stay on-premise with with their sometimes modified version and not supporting mods with cloud hosting doesn't leave M/D's much room to grow. The high cost of developer fees force developers to be non-competitive with their pricing / support models.

The first step to stop the bleeding is take advantage of the open BOI API Sage offers their customers which is very close to source code access without the developer fees. Sage has also done a great job documenting the BOI API which is accessible using Microsoft's COM/OLE automation interface. (extensively used with Office integration)  For those already being hosted in the cloud with a RDP connection, Sage does support enhancements based on their open BOI API which is why this forum and direction is so important for continued use of the product line.

The SB2020 project is an insurance and long term goal to migrate to an open source model. Today we can extend 100 affordably and supported by the 100 community. Sage still gets their by the seat licensing fees if the extensions are written in ProvideX or something else. The benefit to something else is it builds a library of community derived solutions developers own or contribute to the open source pool.

My function on the Open Sage forum is to facilitate an open approach to Sage 100 software using Script BASIC which I have done the same for since 2005. I will offer peer support for community based projects and I'm available for special projects members (Sage Partner's) may need done for their customers. I'm affordable and easy to work with. I normally will do projects for a fixed fee if defined and not ongoing.

I hope to see more of the Sage developer community join us here on the forum. It's FREE and puts the fun back into programming.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:03:39 PM by Root »

John Spikowski

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
This forum is about extending 100 via its open COM/OLE automation BOI API and fostering an open source community version to continue the tradition of customizable accounting software that meets your unique needs.

I feel the best direction for the SB2020 project is a cloud native web browser client interface using the multi-threaded Script BASIC application server. This direction provides unlimited seamless expansion in an environment 100 developers can feel at home with.

The plan is to get a Script BASIC application development server running on the OpenSage.org site and a Git repository setup for source control and documentation.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:25:20 PM by John Spikowski »

John Spikowski

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
I think the best approach to the SB2020 project is to use the framework in Front Accounting which is a PHP/MySQL based open source distribution package that does a great job with code reuse in a modular form.

If it had more of a 100 flow and maturity, it would be natural migration path for a cloud native direction. This path could accelerate something useable before 2020.

I think once I start posting examples, the concept will become more clear. In the mean time have fun playing with Script BASIC.  Soon you will see it in action.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:49:32 PM by John Spikowski »

John Spikowski

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 02:06:54 AM »
I've installed Front Accounting on the site to play with. The paperless reporting is great.

LOGIN

User name: demo

Password: demo

John Spikowski

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
I can be as busy as everyone else if folks don't join the forum and show some interest. I have nothing to sell you but you're own salvaton.

Have a great Christmas and New Year!